I’m ready to relax. I guess I’m just ready for summer to be here. This holiday weekend has been filled, so far, with a lot of catch up work.
I’ve been cleaning, sorting, organizing, laundering, cooking, baking, cleaning some more. It’s been filled with my to do list.
I’m one of those people who like order. If I don’t have order, I can’t sit still. I have to move and make order happen. I think Tobin has inherited this from me. I came downstairs today and found the green room completely cleaned. As I was complimenting Caroline and Tobin, Caroline piped up (bless her little heart!) and said, “Mom, it was all Tobin!”
So now I know he can clean…watch out!
One of the things I made today was this: Quinoa and Black Bean salad….It is yummy. Super yummy. I’m venturing into the world of vegan and found this blog. I also made these cookies. I didn’t have oats so out came the quinoa again. Take a spin around her blog (Oh How She Glows!)…super fun stuff there…really yummy stuff I promise! Clean eating makes for a happy mommy here!
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad, my version
Yield: ~5 cups
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (14oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomatoes, chopped
- 23Green Onions, chopped
- 1 can corn
- 1 small avocado, chopped into 1 inch pieces
For the dressing:
- 4-5 tbsp of fresh lemon juice (Juice from 1 lemon)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp ground cumin, or more to taste
1. Cook 1 cup Quinoa according to package directions.
2. While quinoa is cooking, prepare the chopped vegetables and whisk together the dressing.
3. Allow quinoa to cool after cooking for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Add the beans and vegetables and toss well.
4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well with salt and pepper to taste. Bring salad to room temperature before serving. Keep fresh in a sealed container for 1-2 days. Makes about 5 cups.